Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Delays and Packing...

As situations would have it, I decided to delay my departure for a month. Granted, I have been here in the City over ten years now, one more month for a full eleven years won't hurt much. While it won't be all in the City, I will still be combating the issues that come along with it; mainly dealing with my landlord, but the other minor details that come from my departure as well.

Over the next couple of days, I have to pack out as much of my stuff as possible, do laundry, store said laundry after washing, clean the apartment, and pack my remaining stuff.

Over the next couple of weeks, I need to turn off my internet, forward my mail, register my car tags, clean my carpet (and by clean, I actually have to hire professional cleaners), gather my personal ID (social security card, birth certificate, passport, etc...), scramble my friends and family so they will grab the furniture I promised them (they have until the 25th... otherwise I'm going all chainsaw-massacre on the furniture and throwing it away), donate a couple televisions, recycle some old electronics devices, replace an 8' fluorescent bulb by either walking it from the store for a mile or find a person willing to donate a car large enough to fit it, whittle down my possessions some more, set up a wireless internet so I don't have to screw around finding free wireless and having to worry about the security holes of such, apply for jobs/transfer from my existing job, finish up a commission, apply for an apartment in the Seattle area (especially since it looks like I might be the main person listed on the lease), get a roommate agreement worked out between the people moving up with me, visit family and friends, transfer banks, pay my bills up-front by auto-billing for the next few months until I get settle, transfer all my possessions that are not going to Seattle to either my parent's or sibling's place, deal with random people walking through my apartment during the last two weeks living there and having it "presentable", figure out what additional details I need for the Seattle area, rally the people who are going with me to the Seattle area to hopefully get them motivated (I'm looking at yooooouuuuu, Mara and Dillon)...

Stress much?
And that is just the stuff I remember. Thankfully I just checked my credit report and, thankfully, nothing was out of the ordinary (save a credit card that I don't remember applying for that had a 0-dollar balance and was closed out about four or five years ago... which I think I applied for, and subsequently cancelled).

And yet again, thankfully some of the stuff there can be done between now and the end of August (with the exception of the apartment-related stuff). However, I'm still going to try my damnedest to get all of it done as much as possible so I don't have to screw with it this upcoming week.

So, posts will be brief if they are even up here.

A visual representation of my car.
As for packing all my worldly possessions up into my car: to give you a visual example of how small my car is, please take a look to your right.

This is my car... sort of. It's actually a stock image. It gets great milage (up to 40mpg in optimal driving conditions on highway).

The thing is, it's small.

Really small.

If only...
It fits five people, but that's assuming they're piled in there like sardines. That being said, there isn't much room to pack things up in there. When I said that I'm trying to get all my worldly possessions into something that makes a coffin look modestly roomy, a lot of downsizing of the 27+ years of crap I've accrued needs to be taken into account, almost 11 of which was obtained exclusively in the City. Right now I've got my possessions to where most of them will be able to fit in a 5x5' storage shed (again, damn you people collecting stuff being lethargic to the cause!).

If I could tow a trailer behind it, I would, but it only has a 1,000lb maximum tow capacity. Once you factor in the weight of the smallest U-Haul I could find, that takes up almost 850 pounds of towing capacity right there. That is also assuming that you do not have stuff in the actual car.

That being said, it can only fit, both in physical dimensions as well as weight capability, only five people. Heaven forbid we actually pack something practical like luggage in the trunk, otherwise the axle might buckle, and those would have to be some small suitcases. As it stands, a few of the road trips I have taken have probably violated that capacity with some of the fat asses in my vehicle (not discounting my own fat ass).

He wouldn't even be able to fit in my car.

Now, half a ton seems a lot of weight to work with, even taking into account that about 230-50 or so is taken up by me, that 750 pounds adds up quickly. Add in a few suitcases full of clothes, bam! That's about 100 pounds there. The you consider the legal documents, my portfolio, my electronics (not listing them off... why give people more info than what they need), my flatware furniture, my cot, my blankets, etc... Right now I know affirmatively that at least 500 pounds of stuff is going with me...

I wish I had prepared a little more before all this started going down, but that was when I thought eight other people were going with and I was considering splitting a U-Haul truck with one of them back in February. As there is only me and one other with a possibility of a third leaving the same time, I figure that possibility in more dead in the water than the after-event of the analogy "fish in a barrel". This past situation is more "fish tied to the barrel... of a shotgun."

F*** that, you need to find a new home.
And as it stands, I still keep finding stuff. I seem to be breaking the laws of physics by pulling out things from random corners of my apartment. The amount of stuff I have is technically, and literally in terms of weight and dimensions, the 800 pound elephant in the room.
I have my suspicions...

Which leads me to the point of "Where the hell is all this (gratuitous profanity) stuff coming from!?! Is it breeding while I'm not there!?! Did my stuff suddenly gain sentience and started screwing like rabbits!?!"

I would like to champion that idea, though in all honesty I was expecting to still be living here or the near vicinity of the City a few years ago, and between work and other activities between then and now, things are starting to pile up.

And on that light note for you (don't lie, you laughed at my misfortune), I think I'll end this post. Not sure when you'll hear back. Depending on how things go, you'll soon hear about my move.

1 comment: