Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Of compromises and compulsory rage…



As I type here late at night, I am just returning from my visit to my family and some of my closest friends. Granted, while this might not be the best investment of money, as I am still searching for a job, I felt an obligation to return to my roots, in which the state of Wyoming and The City have been devoid of my presence for almost a full year.

I cannot say that I wholly missed it.

As I entered The City, I found that, while growing in size, the same status of the place has remained as stagnant and non-progressive as before. For those unfamiliar with The City, usually anyone that happens to remain in the area for any period greater than ten years fails to actually wrest themselves of the grasp of the local charm, if it indeed could be called “charm”, and escape the place where ones’ hopes and dreams go to wither and die. This timeline tends to vary from person to person, as well as their individual reasons, but once someone hits that pivotal point of no return, they turn into something the seasoned residents have coined “Lifers”.

While some people seem perfectly content to return to The City and regress into the Lifer lifestyle, I honestly say that I cannot go back; the people whom say that they are perfectly content in where they live, have not truly experienced what life has to offer them outside of The City and its’ various outskirts of desert and what could be loosely described tundra. Seasonal events that happen maybe once or twice a year and happen to be the highlight of the season here, tend to happen every weekend in Seattle, sometimes even more frequently.

Thankfully I, as well as some of my friends that still live in The City, have not succumbed to its enchanting life of simplicity and stagnation that The City provides, and are still Seattle-bound; I was technically supposed to be the second arrival of a great caravan that inevitably dwindled down to just me. The filthy, grasping claws of The City managed to destroy any immediate plans for those that were to follow.

While I do not personally have a PhD., I know
several people with PhDs that are in this situation
Although a good deal of the people are delayed, I cannot give a firm count as to how many are delayed indefinitely. The large majority of those whom are still saying that they will come next year, said the exact same thing the prior year. As such, I am not holding out much hope to those few that said they will be joining me, as I fear the talons of The City has ensnared them with the quaint Lifer status in the form of jobs that some have lucked out on, jobs that technically do not exist or are not hiring above minimum wage, thus stunting any potential for them to crawl from their already stunted and hobbled existence. Those few jobs that actually offer a decent wage are either placed outside their grasp, or entail a hefty amount of risk in order for employers to justify to themselves as to why they are being paid just below what they would consider a poverty wage for C.E.O.s (and that is being generous with how low the wage would actually be). However, due to the wage being substantially higher than what normal blue-collar minimum-wage earners are accustomed to, this is still considered a king’s ransom. Considering that Wyoming and Georgia are tied neck-and-neck as the lowest minimum-wages inside the United States at $5.15 an hour (barring the territories of Puerto Rico and the Virgin islands, and the wage caveats of Montana and Oklahoma (http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm), and that Wyoming has loopholes to reduce that minimum wage even further due to the labor laws of the state (http://www.minimum-wage.org/states.asp?state=Wyoming#exemptions).

As I usually state, Wyoming will always hold a special place to my heart, but that special place has been diminishing over time. Truly, the only thing that really brings me back is my family, whom have resigned to the Lifer plan and settled comfortably into the lifestyle. Even then, there have been murmurs from my parents debating that even they might consider relocating, though their ability to afford what care they need will never happen in the U.S., considering (and I do not use this term lightly) the financial fuckery that has transpired over the decades. My siblings may remain in the state of Wyoming, but I see one of them moving away to a major metropolitan area somewhere in the not-so-distant future, and the other sibling, so long as nothing happens in regards to her career, she will remain in her comfortable, decadent lifestyle until such a time that age or health take her. Even then, that assumption is still not cast in stone.

Though, in my life lessons thus far, once I potentially make a name for myself, I might consider going back to Wyoming at some point, not to concede to being a Lifer, but to try my hand in politics; not to game the system, mind you, but to actually pass progressive, constructive legislation in a counter-progressive state.

Yes, I know… a pipe dream with no delineating end: a fool’s errand, paving a gold road with a sack full of sand… so many varying and unique euphemisms to describe something as utterly pointless as changing Wyoming’s heavily ensconced conservative ways; I would have more luck changing the path of a hurricane to wipe Wyoming clean than I would convincing a red-blooded Republican that their representatives are not working to help them, political leanings aside. Even though I might not have any luck, I must at least try, if not to help my common man, but to help future generations help repair all the extensive damage that had been done by their predecessors. If I can make just the slightest improvement, no matter how small, it is a venture that I would be willing to take.


No comments:

Post a Comment